Diet and Nutrition
From Society for Science-Based Medicine Wiki
- 1 Wiki Links
- 2 About Diet Scam Watch
- 3 Basic Information about Weight Control
- 4 General Articles
- 5 Consumer Warning Statements
- 6 Questionable Products and Theories
- 7 Government Reports
- 8 Questionable Books
- 9 Recommended Links
- 10 About NutriWatch
- 11 Nutrition Basics
- 12 Guidelines
- 13 Foods and Nutrition
- 14 Food Safety and Technology
- 15 Public Health Issues
- 16 Regulatory Issues
- 17 Misleading Ads
- 18 Information Sources
- 19 Links to Reliable Nutrition Web Sites
- 20 Antiquackery Web Sites
- 21 Science-Based Medicine Links
- 22 Diet & Nutrition
- Low-Carbohydrate Diets (including Atkins Diet)
About Diet Scam Watch
- Mission Statement
Basic Information about Weight Control
- Weight Loss and Nutrition: Myths vs. Facts (posted 7/26/07)
- Obesity, Physical Activity, and Weight Control Glossary (posted 7/26/07)
- Impossible Weight-Loss Claims: Summary of an FTC Report
- Low-Carbohydrate Diets
- U.S. Weight-Loss Market Tops $60 Billion (posted 5/16/11)
- Obesity Drugs: Past, Current, and Future
Consumer Warning Statements
- Better Business Bureau Alert
- FTC "Red Flags" for Bogus Weight Loss Scams
- National Council Against Health Fraud
- Weighing the Evidence in Diet Ads (FTC)
- UK Committee of Advertising Practice Guidelines
Questionable Products and Theories
- Algae Products: False Claims and Hype
- Calorie Control (Jillian Michaels) (posted 2/14/10)
- "Cellulite" Removers
- Celluslim (posted 7/6/06)
- Coral calcium
- Dr. Oz's Not-So-Amazing "Fat Busters"
- Enforma: ("Fat Trapper" and "Exercise in a Bottle")
- Garcinia Cambogia Irresponsibly Promoted by Dr. Oz(link to another site)
- Herbal Weight-Loss Products for Children (posted 6/16/06)
- Human Chorionic Gonadotrophin (HCG) (posted 4/23/07)
- Phytopharma Plant Macerat Weight-Loss Plan
- Silly Chiropractic Advice about Obesity Prevention
- Slim Chance Awards (Gimmicks and Frauds, 1989-2010)
- Slim Slippers: A Precautionary Tale
- FTC Analysis of Advertising Trends (2002)
- FTC 2004 Weight-Loss Advertising Survey
- NHLBI Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults (2000)
- The Practical Guide: Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults (2000)
Legal and Regulatory Actions
- FTC Enforcement Actions, 1927-May 2003
- Metabolife Founder Sentenced to Priison
- CAP Rules for Detox and Diets
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Healthy Weight Network
- National Weight Control Registry
- Weight Control Information Network (WIN)
- The Digestive Process (revised 5/23/00)
- History of Food Group Systems (link to another site)
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans
- American Heart Association: New Dietary Guidelines (link to AHA site)
- Healthy People 2010 Nutrition Objectives (posted 2/24/00)
- NIH Consensus Statement on Multivitamin/Mineral Supplements and Chronic Disease Prevention (posted 8/30/06)
- Obesity: Clinical Guidelines (link to NHLBI Web site)
- ChooseMyPlate.gov: (link to USDA diet evaluation and planning site)
Foods and Nutrition
- Functional Foods: Their Role in Disease Prevention and Health Promotion (posted 6/17/99)
- Miscellaneous News (updated 4/29/00)
- "Organically Grown" Foods (revised 10/22/02)
- Soy: Health Claims for Soy Protein (link to FDA Consumer)
- Silly Statements about Powdered Milk (posted 7/25/07)
Food Safety and Technology
- Food Safety: What Are the Real Issues? (posted 6/6/05)
- FDA Pesticide Program Residue Monitoring, 1993-1999
- FDA Review of the Safety of Recombinant Bovine Somatotropin (rbST)
- Center/Science Reports/Expert Reports/Biotechnology and Foods/Biotech and Foods.pdf IFT Expert Report on Biotechnology and Foods
- Genetically Engineered Foods Should NOT Bear Special Labels (posted 1/2/00)
- Irradiation of Food: IFT Scientific Status Summary (posted 10/20/05)
- Microwave Oven Safety: USDA Fact Sheet (posted 12/28/07)
- Food Safety and Technology Links (updated 8/12/02)
- Don't Feed Honey to Infants (posted 4/26/01)
- Index of Supplement and Herbal Product Recalls (link to another site)
- UK Food Standards Agency Publishes Organic Review (posted 8/4/09)
- Unpasteurized (Raw) Milk Can Pose a Serious Health Risk (posted 10/26/13)
Public Health Issues
- Fluoridation Update (MMWR reprint, posted 3/20/00)
- FDA Action Plan to Confront America's Obesity Problem (link to FDA site)
- Dietary Supplements: An Advertising Guide for Industry Summary [HTML] [PDF]
- Dietary Supplements Task Force Final Report (1993) (posted 5/09/11) (too big)
- FDA Draft Guidance for "Medical Foods" (posted 9/15/13)
- FDA Food Labeling Guide (link to another site)
- FDA Urged to Halt Sale of Foods with Added Herbal Ingredients (posted 7/22/00)
- Health and Nutrient Content Claims (link to FDA Web site)
- How the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 Weakened the FDA (updated 7/6/00)
- Improvements Needed in Overseeing Dietary Supplements and "Functional Foods" (GAO report) (posted 7/22/00)
- Trans Fatty Acids:
- U.S. House Government Reform Committee Hearing on Dietary Supplements (3/10/06)
- OIG Finds Dietary Supplement Claims Fail to Meet Federal Requitments (posted 12/8/12)
- Coral Calcium
- FTC Warning: Misleading Ads for Children's Dietary Supplements (posted 5/1/00)
- FTC Advertising Cases Involving Weight-Loss Products and Services, 1927-1997
- Misleading Ads from the Florida Department of Citrus (posted 5/11/00)
- "80% of Doctors Take Antioxidants"
- Clarified Butter (Ghee): Is It a health food?
- "Recommend Centrum to Bridge Nutrition Gaps"
- FTC Chairman Urges Cable TV Executives to Curb Deceptive Weight-Loss Ads (link to FTC site)
- Deception in Weight-Loss Advertising: FTC Staff Report [Summary] [Full Report]
- Advice in Health Food Stores: Don't Trust It!
- Confessions of a Former Women's Magazine Writer (posted 3/26/00)
- Where to Get Reliable Nutrition Advice
Links to Reliable Nutrition Web Sites
- Agricultural Research Service Nutrient Data Laboratory: Food composition data
- American Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (formerly American Dietetic Association)
- Center for Global Food Issues
- ConsumerLab: Reports on product quality
- Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH)
- Dietary Supplements Labels Database: Brands, ingredients, references
- Fatsecret: Comprehensive food label / nutrient content database
- FDA Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition
- Institute of Food Technologists Scientific Status Summaries
- Iowa State University Food Safety Project
- National Cholesterol Education Program
- National Dairy Council
- Nutrition Perspectives: Bimonthly newsletter of the University of California Extension Division
- Office of Dietary Supplements Fact Sheets
- USDA Dietary Supplement Page
- USDA Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion
Antiquackery Web Sites
- American Council on Science and Health (ACSH)
- Chirobase (Quackwatch's skeptical guide to chiropractic history, theories, and current practices)
- Dr. Bill of Health.com
- MLM Watch (Quackwatch's guide to multilevel marketing)
- National Council Against Health Fraud (NCAHF)
- Quackwatch (Comprehensive guide to health fraud, quackery, and intelligent consumer decisionmaking)
- Skeptics Dictionary (over 400 topics)
Science-Based Medicine Links
Diet & Nutrition
- Science-Based Nutrition.
- The Science Fiction of Nutritional Genomics.
- Is Organic Food More Healthful? .
- Antioxidant Supplements for Macular Degeneration.
- Antioxidant Hype and Reality.
- Resveratrol: Of Mice and Men.
- Protandim: Another Kind of Antioxidant.
- Super Fruit Juices â€“ The New Snake Oil.
- Energy Drinks.
- Cranberry Juice.
- I No Longer Love a Parade.
- Red Yeast Rice to Lower Cholesterol.
- Meat and Weight Control.
- Red Meat: Is It Hazardous to Health? .
- Eating Placentas: Cannibalism, Recycling, or Health Food?
- The China Study Revisited: New Analysis of Raw Data Doesnâ€™t Support Vegetarian Ideology.
- Simply Raw: Making overcooked claims about raw food diets.
- Raw Milk in Modern Times.
- Raw deal: Got diarrhea?
- One Hump or Two? Camelâ€™s Milk as a New Alternative Medicine.
- Oil of Oregano.
- High Fructose Corn Syrup: Tasty Toxin or Slandered Sweetener?
- Aspartame â€“ Truth vs Fiction.
- Failed Flaxseed and Bad News Brownies.
- The Top Ten Pet Supplements: Do They Work? .
- Raw Meat and Bone Diets for Dogs: Itâ€™s Enough to Make You BARF.