Chelation therapy is a series of intravenous infusions containing EDTA and various other substances. It is falsely claimed to be effective against cardiovascular disease, autism, and many other diseases and conditions. Because chelation has valid use in some cases of heavy metal poisoning, many practitioners falsely diagnose lead, mercury, or other heavy metal toxicity to trick patients into undergoing chelation. This Web site explains why doctors who advocate the general use of chelation therapy should be avoided.
- Chelation Therapy: Unproven Claims and Unsound Theories
- The Pharmacology of Chelation Therapy
- Chelation Therapy and Insurance Fraud
- Questions and Answers about Chelation Therapy (American Heart Association)
- National Council Against Health Fraud Policy Statement
- EDTA Chelation Therapy for Atherosclerosis and Degenerative Diseases: Implausibility and Paradoxical Oxidant Effects
- Birmingham Technology Assessment Group Report
- Chelation Treatment of Autism Is Bogus
- Be Wary of "Board Certification" in Clinical Metal Toxicology
- DMPS Is Not a Legal Drug
- Package Insert for Calcium Disodium Versenate
- Three Deaths Associated with Hypocalcemia from Chelation Therapy
- Hair Analysis
- Dubious Mercury Testing
- How the "Urine Toxic Metals" Test Is Used to Defraud Patients
- Lead Poisoning: Medical Guidelines for the Exposed Worker
- Effects of an EDTA infusion on the urinary elimination of several elements in healthy subjects
- EDTA treatment of intermittent claudication: A double-blind, placebo-controlled study
- Chelation therapy for ischemic heart disease: a randomized, controlled trial
- Why the NIH Study of Chelation Therapy Should Have Been Stopped
- Medicare Policy for Chelation Therapy
- CIGNA Attacks Chelation Fraud
- CHAMPUS Denies Coverage if Chelation Therapy (1983)
- Govermnent Moves to Stop Improper Medicare Payment for Chelation Therapy and Provoked Testing
- Court Rules Physician Has No Duty to Inform Patients about Chelation Therapy
- Edelson Center Sued for Fraud and Malpractice
- Fraud Charged in Chelation-Related Death
- Suit Filed against Australian Chelationist
- "Autism Specialists" Sued
Medical Board Policies
- New Hampshire Medical Board Limits Chelation Therapy
- Oregon Medical Board Staement of Philosophy: Chelation Therapy
- Tennessee Medical Board Limits Chelation Therapy
Other Regulatory Actions
- A Close Look at "Dr." Paula Bickle
- Chelation "Board" Denied Certification Provider Status in Florida
- Chelation Therapist Charged with Insurance Fraud
- Chelation Clinic Owner Sentenced to Prison for Fraud
- Chiropractor Convicted of Chelation Fraud
- FDA Warns against Using Oral "Chelation Therapy" Products
- FDA Attacks Oral "Chelation Therapy" Products and Heavy Metal Screening Test
- FDA Issues Chelation Therapy Warning
- FTC Action against Organization Promoting Chelation Therapy
- Discliplinary Proceedings against Eleazar M. Kadile, M.D:
- Disciplinary Actions against Robban Sica, M.D.
- Disciplinary Action against Bozena Rozum-Slota, M.D.
- Disciplinary Actions against Donald E. Soli, M.D.
- Questionable Activities of John E. Stauch, Ph.D.
- Disciplinary Action against Pieter J. De Wet, M.D.
- Disciplinary Action against Serafina Corsello, M.D.
- Index of State Board Disciplinary Actions
Links to Other Sites
Science-Based Medicine Links
- The Ethics of CAM Trials. Gonzo (Part I).
- The Ethics of CAM Trials. Gonzo (Part II).
- The Ethics of CAM Trials. Gonzo (Part III).
- The Ethics of CAM Trials. Gonzo (Part IV).
- The Ethics of CAM Trials. Gonzo (Part V).
- The Ethics of CAM Trials. Gonzo (Part VI).
- The œGonzalez Trialâ€ for Pancreatic Cancer: Outcome Revealed.
- Evidence-Based Medicine, Human Studies Ethics, and the ˜Gonzalez Regimenâ€™: a Disappointing Editorial in the Journal of Clinical Oncology Part 1.
- Evidence-Based Medicine, Human Studies Ethics, and the ˜Gonzalez Regimenâ€™: a Disappointing Editorial in the Journal of Clinical Oncology Part 2.