In my feeds I came across
Dr Amato is lauded for his health creation at his Integrative Medicine Clinic in Scranton Pa, which, from the description, broke even.
But they ask a more important question:
How much health has Inner Harmony created in the Scranton population it served?...What human lives had a chance to flourish because the people of Scranton, via Inner Harmony, had other options for pursuing health?
An excellent question. They evidently have no data although the author suggests it "seems likely" and Dr. Amato thinks
"I am sure it contributed to society at some levels. It's not always tangible."
So they do not really know. But I wondered what they offered at the 'ground-breaking'
- A 21 day Cleanse to get rid of toxin build up and they will "we provide all of the supplements you will need."
- Reflexology, described as "scientific theory that maps out the reflexes of the feet and hands that are relative to all of the organs and the rest of the body."
- Cranial sacral therapy.
- Acupuncture for infertility, addiction, and asthma as well as various aches and pains.
- Chiropractic to "not only treat the symptoms of health problems, but in many cases it also treats the root of the cause" including herniated discs, ADD and MS. Really. Chiropractic for MS
- Colon Cleansing for treatment of asthma, sinus problems, infections and bad breath among other problems.
And at the Caribbean location they have
Biofeedback Quantum Healing
The body’s health depends on information fields on the energetic or quantum field level. The EPFX- Quantum Biofeedback System takes a multitude of different stress-reduction programs, methods, and techniques, and merges them into a simple, well-rounded approach. This system calculates a combination of impedance, amperage, voltage, resistance and other factors to determine whether or not your energetic fields are normal or disturbed. $200 per one and a half hour consult
All with primary care available. That is 'ground breaking' integrative medicine. A hodgepodge of useless pseudo- medicines.
I suspect the use of the magical therapies provided by the Inner Harmony Wellness Center created no health, provided no chance to flourish, and only wasted the time and money of the patients who used the clinic. In medicine you can have opportunity and privilege to really impact and improve peoples lives instead of providing a useless
cleans (of) the colon by filling and emptying it with warm and cool water.
Sad really, a career wasted in pseudo-medicine.
Pseudo-medical therapies grounded in fantasy can have no lasting real effects on peoples lives. As the Bard noted, Integrative Medicine is all sound and fury, signifying nothing.
After perusing the Center and its offerings, I'll stick to my understanding of Integrative Medicine: When you combine cow pie with apple pie, the cow pie is not improved, the apple pie is worse.